Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program
QLI’s Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program is a specialized, post-hospital center of excellence for individuals who have sustained a spinal cord injury. Emerging research suggests that individuals with spinal cord injuries, especially those with incomplete injuries, can improve their physical and functional recovery by participating in a focused, intensive and individualized physical rehabilitation and training program. Our comprehensive program is designed to ensure our clients maximize their physical recovery while simultaneously mastering the skills and confidence to move bravely back into the lives they choose to lead.
QLI’s expert medical director, specialty physician partners, and dedicated 24-hour nursing team are highly experienced at managing the often complex medical needs of individuals living with spinal cord injury. Our dedicated medical team members enable our clients to recover physical health as quickly as possible, while regularly managing wound care, bowel and bladder care and many other medical complexities and comorbidities on site.
Specialized Rehabilitation Services
QLI’s program allows every opportunity possible to achieve peak rehabilitation potential by combining industry-leading rehabilitation expertise, cutting edge technology, and a practical emphasis on building skills that will transition to the real-world beyond the rehab setting.
- 4,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art Gait and Robotics Lab including the Zero G dynamic bodyweight supported walking system, Hydroworx therapy pool, Ekso Bionics exoskeleton, functional electrical stimulation bikes, treadmills, and more
- Intensive physical, occupational and speech therapy programs, as needed
- Rehabilitation psychology
- 24-hour skilled nursing care
- Specialized wound treatment and education
- Pain rehabilitation and education
- Nutritional consultation by a registered dietitian
- Extensive adaptive and assistive technology assessment and recommendations
- Wheelchair seating and positioning services
- Wide-ranging adaptive sports and recreation opportunities including hunting, fishing, scuba, rock-climbing, water sports, adaptive cycling, golf, and much more
- Spinal cord injury peer-mentoring program
- Ongoing patient and family education programming
- Community accessibility training
- Full adaptive driving program with evaluation and training
- Vocational rehabilitation assessment and services
- Array of “alternative” therapies including hippotherapy (equine therapy), music, art and yoga.
- Transitional simulation apartment available with full kitchen, bath, and integrated environmental control systems, as applicable.
QLI’s psychology and Life Path Services teams lead the charge to ensure our rehabilitation clients and their support systems are as educated and prepared as possible to navigate an often challenging emotional adjustment as our clients become comfortable and confident with a new routine of life.
Family Support & Education
Spinal cord injury does not just affect the individual, but the entire family unit. Therefore, our clients’ programs are customized to include not only individuals but family and support systems as a whole. We encourage families to be an active part of the rehabilitation team and see education as an important part of the rehabilitation process. A full-time team of counselors, psychologists and neuropsychologists are on-staff to provide the needed support to individuals and families throughout and following their rehabilitation stay.
Returning to life after a spinal cord injury can be an immense adjustment. Many patients attempt to transition in a single day from the protective and controlled environment of a hospital to a complicated and often-intimidating home setting where the patient and their family are entirely responsible for directing every detail of their own care. QLI exists to not only minimize that gap, but to ensure our clients continue making rehabilitation progress as they become comfortable, confident and functional with a new routine of life. Discharge and transition services include assistance with:
- Locating and coordinating with community-based medical providers
- Selecting and educating home health care providers
- Recommendations for home modifications
- Educating social and community support systems
- Identifying appropriate ongoing rehabilitation resources
- QLI staff traveling home with patients, when appropriate
For more information please visit our FAQ page located under the Admissions Tab of our website.
Coordinator of Admissions